Contact members of the Senate Local Government Committee and urge them to oppose SF 1749!
SF 1749 prohibits a city from pursuing an annexation if the potential annexation area is covered by an orderly annexation agreement with another city
On paper this may sound reasonable, but what happens in practice is that a township will often put two cities against each other to get the best deal for the township, rather than what is best for the region’s development.
Take action now!
SF 1749 is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Local Government Committee at 7 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday, March 9). Please contact members of the Senate Local Government Committee as soon as possible and urge them to oppose SF 1749.
Let them know that SF 1749 is harmful because:
- It stifles economic development, particularly in Greater Minnesota.
- It will prevent cities from having a say in how they develop, and instead gives townships disproportionate leverage in negotiating orderly annexation agreements.
- It would be a stunning restriction of property owner rights:
- A landowner could be denied the right to connect with city services when building a home.
- A business owner could be denied the right to build or expand a business.
- A city may not be able to include property purchased for public purposes—such as for wastewater treatment, water supply or an industrial park—in its own boundaries.
- To send an email to all the members of the Senate Local Government Committee at once, click here.
- If you prefer to call or send an email to each committee member separately, their contact info can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact CGMC annexation lobbyist Elizabeth Wefel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-259-1924.