It’s crunch time! With only one week left in the legislative session, Governor Walz and legislative leaders are in the thick of negotiations to determine the next two-year state budget and find common ground on other critical issues. Among the many issues still in limbo is the CGMC’s top priority: a $30.5 million increase in Local Government Aid (LGA).
The House and Governor both included the $30.5 million boost in their budget proposals, but there is no LGA increase in the Senate’s plan. To see how your city would fare under the House and Senate plans, click here.
With the clock winding down, it is more important than ever that city leaders speak up about the importance of LGA and the need for an increase this year.
Take action now!
Contact Governor Walz, House Speaker Melissa Hortman, Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka and your legislators TODAY and urge them to agree to a $30.5 million LGA increase this session.
Tell them that:
- You and your community are counting on the Senate, House and Governor to work together to pass a $30.5 million LGA increase this session to finally restore the program to its 2002 level.
- Any meaningful tax bill must include an increase in LGA—the most effective tool the state has for building strong communities in Greater Minnesota.
- Tell your story of the impact LGA has on your community! Share examples of how your city uses its LGA and how your city might utilize an increase.
- Contact Governor Walz using this email form or at 800-657-3717
- Contact Speaker Melissa Hortman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-296-4280
- Contact Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka using this email form or at 651-296-4875.
- Find contact information for your representative and senator by visiting Who Represents Me?
If you have any questions about LGA or the legislative session, please contact Bradley Peterson at email@example.com or 651-259-1911.