Click here for a printable, PDF version of this Action Alert.
It’s Water Action Week! Urge legislators to support Gov. Dayton’s proposed $167M for clean water infrastructure as part of a balanced bonding bill!
Gov. Dayton has declared April 17-23, 2016, as “Water Action Week.” Since water-related issues will be at the forefront in the Legislature this week, we want to make sure that cities’ water infrastructure needs are big part of the conversation. This week is an ideal time to contact legislators and ask them to support the Governor’s proposed $167 million in bonding for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs.
Take action today!
It is critical that CGMC city leaders email or call the House and Senate chairs of the Capital Investment Committees (Rep. Paul Torkelson and Sen. LeRoy Stumpf, respectively), House Speaker Kurt Daudt, House Minority Leader Paul Thissen, Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk, Senate Minority Leader David Hann and your own legislators and ask them to include $167M for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs for cities in the bonding bill.
Let them know that:
- Funding for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs is a “must-have” component of a strong and balanced bonding bill.
- A wave of newly adopted and anticipated water-quality regulations means many cities across the state are being required to perform expensive upgrades or even replace their water treatment facilities.
- Most cities lack the resources to pay for these costly upgrades. Without financial assistance from the state, user rates and debt service will skyrocket.
- If the bonding bill needs to be larger than $600M in order to include funding for clean water infrastructure, then legislators should increase the size of the bill.
- Click this link to email Speaker Daudt, Rep. Torkelson and Rep. Thissen
- Use this email form to contact Majority Leader Bakk
- Use this email form to contact Sen. Stumpf
- Use this email form to contact Sen. Hann
- Contact your own legislators — Who Represents Me?
Thank Gov. Dayton for his support
City leaders should also use Water Action Week as an opportunity to thank Gov. Dayton for recognizing the need for the state to partner with cities to help pay for required upgrades to water infrastructure and for proposing $167M in funding in his bonding bill.
- Use this email form to contact Gov. Dayton or call him at 800-657-3717.
Need more information?