With less than a month left in the legislative session, the House and Senate Capital Investment Committees are busy assembling their bonding bills. The top bonding priority for Greater Minnesota cities this session is funding for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs.
With billions of dollars of need statewide over the next 20 years, it is essential that the Legislature pass a large bonding bill that includes at least $167 million for water infrastructure programs (as included in SF 2668/HF 3122).
While vital to helping our communities, this funding alone will not be enough to make wastewater and water upgrades affordable for many of our cities. The Legislature should also create a supplemental grant program (SF 3075/HF 3332) that will ensure city sewer rates will not bankrupt rural residents.
Take action today!
It is critical that CGMC city leaders email or call Capital Investment Committee Chairs Rep. Dean Urdahl and Sen. Dave Senjem, House Speaker Kurt Daudt, Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka and your own legislators.
Ask them to pass a bonding bill that includes at least $167M for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs for cities and also funds a new supplemental grant program. Let them know that:
- Funding for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs is a “must-have” component of a strong and balanced bonding bill.
- At least $167 million is needed this year to keep up with the growing demand caused by aging infrastructure and the need to comply with new and proposed regulations. Anything less $167 million means cities will continue to fall behind on upgrading and repairing infrastructure.
- Most cities lack the resources to pay for these costly upgrades. Without financial assistance from the state, including the funding provided under the proposed supplemental grant program, user rates for residents and businesses will skyrocket.
- Dave Senjem: firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-296-3903
- Dean Urdahl: email@example.com, 651-296-4344 or 800-920-5861
- House Speaker Kurt Daudt: firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-296-5364 or
- Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka: email@example.com,
- Contact your own senator and representative: Who Represents Me?
For more legislators’ contact information, visit:
Need more information?
Please read these CGMC handouts for more information about these important bonding proposals:
- Support $167M for clean water infrastructure grant and loan programs
- Support funding for a new supplement grant bill for water infrastructure
If you have any additional questions, please contact CGMC environmental lobbyist Elizabeth Wefel at firstname.lastname@example.org.