There are only five weeks left in the 2018 legislative session and the Minnesota Senate has yet to hold a hearing on SF 3082, the CGMC-supported bill to increase LGA funding by $30.5 million to help cities keep up with rising costs and hold down property taxes. The House companion bill, HF 3493, received a committee hearing last week, but so far the Senate has ignored LGA by not hearing any bills that would increase it. It’s time to tell the Senate to step up!
Take action now!
Contact your senator, Senate Tax Committee Chair Roger Chamberlain and Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka as soon as possible and urge them to hold a hearing on SF 3082 and increase LGA funding this session.
Tell them that:
- Any meaningful tax bill must include an increase in LGA—the most effective tool the state has for building strong communities in Greater Minnesota.
- You and your community are counting on the Legislature to pass a $30.5 million LGA increase this session to finally restore the program to its 2002 level.
- Last year’s $15 million LGA increase was helpful in allowing many cities to hold down property tax levies and address long-delayed investments. However, the cost to cities to provide services continues to rise due to inflation and other factors.
- Tell your story of the impact LGA has on your community! Share examples of how your city uses its LGA and how your city might utilize an increase.
- Find your senator’s contact information in the Senate Member Directory or by visiting Who Represents Me?
- Contact Senate Tax Committee Chair Roger Chamberlain at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 296-4197
- Contact Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka at email@example.com or (651) 296-4875.
If you have any questions about LGA or the legislative session, please contact Bradley Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-259-1911.