Each year, the CGMC honors the legislators, city officials and community leaders who helped advance the CGMC’s goals over the preceding legislative session and/or an extended period of time.
Click on the names below to read a press release about each individual award recipient or click here for a list with brief descriptions of all the winners. You can also visit our Facebook page to see photos from the awards dinner on July 25 in Bemidji.
Legislator of Distinction- Tax Policy
Legislator of Distinction- Economic Development
- Rep. Rob Ecklund (DFL-International Falls)
- Sen. Karin Housley (R-St. Mary’s Point)
- Sen. Carla Nelson (R-Rochester)
- Sen. Eric Pratt (R-Prior Lake)
Legislator of Distinction- Environment
- Sen. Gary Dahms (R-Redwood Falls)
- Rep. Mary Murphy (DFL-Hermantown)
- Rep. Jeanne Poppe (DFL-Austin)
- Sen. Carrie Ruud (R-Breezy Point)
Legislator of Distinction- Transportation
First-term Legislator of the Year
Excellence in Service – Awarded to CGMC elected officials, city managers/administrators and/or city staff who demonstrated knowledge, leadership and active participation in CGMC program areas over the preceding session and/or an extended period of time.
- City Administrator Jennifer Bromeland, Eagle Lake
- City Councilor Brad Hadrava, Eveleth
- Mayor Chuck Novak, Ely
- Mayor Ben Schierer, Fergus Falls
- Mayor Rick Schultz, St. Joseph
Excellence in Teamwork – Awarded to the elected officials and city staff of CGMC member cities that worked together to promote CGMC goals and priorities over the preceding session and/or an extended period of time.
Jack Murray Award for Distinguished Rural Leadership (retiring elected officials) – Awarded—upon their retirement from public service—to CGMC mayors and elected officials who have made special contributions to the CGMC over a multi-year career. The award is named after Jack Murray, former mayor of International Falls, who was instrumental in the CGMC’s formation.
Bob Filson Award for Distinguished Rural Leadership (retiring staff) – Awarded—upon their retirement from public service—to CGMC city managers/administrators or key staff members who made special contributions to the CGMC over a multi-year career. The award is named after Bob Filson, former city manager of Worthington, who showed consistent and relentless dedication to whatever mattered to the CGMC and its members.
Friend of the CGMC – Awarded to individuals (not legislators or CGMC city officials) or organizations who have helped advance CGMC priorities and/or made important contributions to Greater Minnesota.
- Nicole Griensewic Mickelson, Executive Director, Regional Nine Development Commission and President, Greater Minnesota Partnership
- Scott Marquardt, Vice President, Southwest Minnesota Initiative Foundation
- Nancy Jost, Director of Early Childhood, West Central Initiative
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
Tim Flaherty Legacy Award – Awarded—upon their retirement—to legislators or other advocates who have demonstrated unfailing commitment and made extraordinary contributions to Greater Minnesota during their careers. This year the award is being renamed the “Tim Flaherty Legacy Award” in honor of Tim’s years of service to the CGMC and Greater Minnesota.
- Tim Flaherty
President’s Award – Awarded to the outgoing CGMC president.