LGA & Property Tax Relief
As the Legislature and Governor work to set a budget for the next biennium and create an updated Local Government Aid formula, it is crucial that the program maintain its commitment to addressing property tax inequities across the state, ensuring the continued delivery of quality public services while keeping property taxes affordable.
LGA and Property Tax Runs
- Local Government Aid: The key to strong communities, a stronger Minnesota
- Sample LGA resolution
- LGA Myths
- LGA & Property Tax Refund Comparison Charts
Bills to Watch
- SF 1304/HF 1102 – Appropriates a $30.5 million increase to the Local Government Aid program
- SF 1305/HF 1101 – A bill to increase LGA funding each year to account for inflation and population growth.
- HF 2348 – House Property Tax Division bill (includes $30.5 million increase in LGA)
- SF 1939 – *This is not a CGMC bill* This bill would increase the LGA appropriation by $15 million a year, but direct all of the increased funding for 2020 to cities with populations below 5,000. In 2021 and beyond the bill would return to calculating LGA as it normally is, but since a city’s aid amount is heavily influenced by the prior year’s LGA, the increased $15 million would continue to go primarily to the small cities targeted by the legislation.
2019-20 Legislative Committees
Senate Tax Committee Chair: Sen. Roger Chamberlain (R-Lino Lakes) 651-296-1253 email@example.com Senate Local Government Committee Chair: Sen. Dan Hall 651-296-5975 Sen. Hall’s email form House Tax Committee Chair: Rep. Paul Marquart (DFL-Dilworth) 651-296-6829 firstname.lastname@example.org House Property & Local Tax Division Chair: Rep. Diane Loeffler (DFL-Minneapolis) 651-296-4219 email@example.com
- Pat Baustian Mayor, City of Luverne 507.920.7406 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heidi Omerza City Councilor, City of Ely 218.235.1125 email@example.com
- Bradley Peterson, Attorney/Lobbyist firstname.lastname@example.org 651.259.1940
- Justin Stofferahn, Policy Analyst email@example.com 651.259.1922