Registration is now open for the 2017 CGMC Fall Conference!
The conference will be held Thursday, Nov. 16-Friday, Nov. 17 at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center in Alexandria. To register, simply fill out this online registration form by no later than Nov. 8. Attendees have the option of paying the registration fee now via credit card or being invoiced later.
Our members have been vocal about the needs and concerns affecting their communities. Our conference agenda touches on a number of critical issues:
- Child care. Marnie Werner of the Center for Rural Policy will kick off the conference by sharing the findings of CPR’s study “A Quiet Crisis: Minnesota’s Child Care Shortage.” She will be followed by a panel discussion featuring economic development experts and child care professionals who will talk about the economic implications of the child care shortage and ways in which city leaders can play a role in developing solutions to this growing problem.
- Broadband. Bill Coleman, president of Community Technology Advisors, will provide a critical perspective on rural broadband challenges and public policy considerations.
- Transportation and the upcoming legislative session. A bipartisan group of legislators will discuss the pros and cons of the 2017 transportation bill and the Legislature’s future plans to address transportation and other key issues.
- Labor and employee relations. Attorney Brandon Fitzsimmons will summarize the legal framework for and moderate a panel discussion with Greater Minnesota city officials on the “productive” and “unproductive” involvement of elected officials in dealing with personnel issues in their city.
- Environmental regulations. CGMC staff will provide an update on the Environmental Action Fund, including legal and regulatory action relating to water quality regulations.
Attendees will also adopt the CGMC’s legislative policy positions and priorities for the 2018 legislative session. Your input helps set the CGMC’s legislative agenda, so it is vital that you attend the conference and share your ideas and opinions!
Please note that attendees are responsible for booking their own hotel rooms. A block of rooms is reserved for the CGMC at a rate of $94 a night. Call Arrowwood at 320-762-1124 to make a reservation.
If you have any questions about the conference, please contact Julie Liew at 651-259-1917 or email@example.com. We hope to see you there!
2017 CGMC Board Retreat
The CGMC Board Retreat will be held Wednesday, Nov. 15 – Thursday, Nov. 16 at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center in Alexandria. To register, please fill out this online registration form by no later than Nov. 8. The cost is $75 and attendees have the option of paying the registration fee now via credit card or being invoiced later.
The retreat will begin at noon on Wednesday, which is one day before the CGMC Fall Conference. The retreat is a great chance to get to know your fellow board members and it also provides an opportunity to talk about issues in more detail than is allowed during a typical meeting. Some of the issues we plan to discuss include the roles & responsibilities of the board, legislative issues and strategies for 2018, ways to increase member engagement, and more. There will also be time to socialize in the evening.
Since we are heading into the 2018 election, we have also extended invitations to gubernatorial candidates to meet with the board in Alexandria. (For candidates who are unable to come to the retreat, the board will also hold additional candidate meetings in December and January.)
You can view the retreat agenda here. Please note that it will be revised as we get confirmation from more candidates.
Board members are responsible for getting their own hotel rooms. The CGMC has a block of rooms reserved at Arrowwood for a discounted rate of $94 plus tax. Call 320-762-1124 to make a reservation, and be sure to mention that you would like to book under the CGMC block.
If you have any questions about the conference, please contact Julie Liew at 651-259-1917 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Legislative Action Day
The 2018 CGMC Legislative Action Day will be held Wednesday, March 14 at the Best Western Capitol Ridge in St. Paul. More information will be available as the date approaches.
Questions about CGMC conferences and events?
Contact Julie Liew at email@example.com or 651-259-1917.